©2010 — 78/57 minutes
TRUST: Second Acts in Young Lives explores one of the art world’s little-known secrets: the positive influence that making theater has on the lives of immigrant teenagers.
TRUST follows Chicago’s neighborhood Albany Park Theater Project (APTP), which is dedicated to helping teenagers re-imagine their real life experiences into creative interpretations on stage. Marlín, an 18-year-old Hondureña, tells her story to the ensemble. Then she and her fellow young actors transform it into a daring, original play and invite family, friends, teachers and classmates to see it.
• Youth Vision Award, United Nations Association Film Festival, Palo Alto, CA
• Jury Award, Sebastopol Documentary Film Festival, Sebastopol, CA
• Best Documentary Award, Reel Rasquache Art and Film Festival, Los Angeles
Writer, Director, Producer: Nancy Kelly
Editor, Producer: Kenji Yamamoto
Director of Photography, Consulting Producer:
Composer: Todd Boekelheide
Sound Mix: Phil Perkins
Graphic Design: Gary Jaeger
• John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
• The Richard H. Driehaus Foundation